Welcome to the Scottish Deerhound Club of America’s web site on Deerhound health issues. We hope this will help Deerhound owners and breeders, as well as those considering adding a Deerhound to their home.
About The Scottish Deerhound Club of America (SDCA)
The Scottish Deerhound Club of America’s objectives are:
(a) To encourage and promote only the selective breeding of pure-bred Scottish Deerhounds and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection;
(b) To encourage and assist the organization of independent local Scottish Deerhound Specialty Clubs in those localities where there are sufficient fanciers of the breed to meet the requirements of the American Kennel Club;
(c) To urge members and breeders to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which Scottish Deerhounds shall be judged;
(d) To do all in its power to protect and advance the interest of the breed and to encourage sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, field trials, and obedience trials;
(e) To conduct sanctioned matches and specialty shows, field trials, and obedience trials under the rules of the American Kennel Club.
The Scottish Deerhound Club of America seeks to be a community of Deerhound lovers from all over North America. Please join us in our love for this wonderful breed.
For more information on Deerhounds and the SDCA, go to the SDCA web page.
About the SDCA’s Health & Genetics Committee
The SDCA Health & Genetics Committee was formed to further the health and well-being of Scottish Deerhounds. The H&G Committee:
- Conducts health surveys in order to monitor the health issues that appear in the breed.
- Seeks out and partners with researchers who are studying illnesses that impact the breed.
- Disseminates information on health issues to the SDCA membership and Deerhound community through articles in the Claymore and the SDCA web site.
- Makes recommendations about important genetic and health screening tests that can improve the health of Deerhounds.
- Provides educational opportunities for members of the Deerhound community about health and wellness issues.
- Organizes and supports research sample collection and health testing clinics.
- Makes recommendations to the SDCA Board pertaining to health issues and research projects.
- Reports to the SDCA Board on the Committee’s activities.
Subscribe to this blog
If you want to receive news updates, please click the “Follow” button in the lower right corner.
Comments are always welcome. If you have a question or would like to share something on this page, we’d love to hear from you.
SDCA Health & Genetics Committee
Deborah Cutter, Ph.D.
John Dillberger, DVM, Ph.D. (Chair)
Miranda Levin, ONB
Mary Ann Rose, MD
Betty Stephenson, DVM